Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Grain-Free Fruit Crisp and Blog Beginnings

It brings back fond memories to have a blank screen staring back at me.  It's been years since I've blogged and I've missed it!  A lot has changed since my "That's Sew Taylor" days, but a lot has stayed the same.  Before I get all sappy, let's get on to the first of many recipes to come...



Gluten free has become a part of our lives, over the past few months and I have actually enjoyed it.  It's definitely trial and error, but we have been able to have the occasional sweet treat thanks to such sites as Pinterest (ahhhh).  With the warmer NC weather has come a little dose of spring fever and what is better than a fruit crisp?  Not much, I'd say.  I'm one to prefer a tart dessert, any day, and this fits the bill.  A medley of fruits is garnished with a totally grain free (but oh-so-yummy) crumb, that bakes into a crunchy, granola-ish topping.  It has become a make-often favorite, in our household (and I only found the recipe, a few days ago).  This crisp is simply sweetened with maple syrup, which gives it that flavor I so love!  Anyway...I adapted this recipe to make a small (4-person) crisp and just eyeballed the measurements.  You can't mess it up!



Original recipe in black (my changes in teal):

Grain-free Mixed Berry Crisp (Vegan)
serves 8-10
Filling:
6 cups fresh berries –  I used a combination of quartered strawberries, whole raspberries, and whole blackberries.  (I eyeballed the amount of fruit and used what we had in the freezer...I would say it was about 3 cups of frozen blueberries, peaches, strawberries, and some raspberries, thawed and drained.)
1/4 cup arrowroot starch (tapioca or corn starch will also work)  (I prefer arrowroot starch and used a little over an 1/8th cup.)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (Halved)
1/4 cup maple syrup or honey (Halved the maple syrup)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Halved)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Halved)
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional) (Did not use)

Crumble Topping: (I used half of each of the following,..)
1/3 cup raw walnuts 
1/3 cup raw hulled sunflower seeds (I used pecans, instead.)
1 tablespoon chia seeds or flax seeds
3/4 cup almond flour or almond meal
1/4 cup arrowroot starch (tapioca or corn starch will also work)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
1/4 cup coconut oil solidified or butter, chilled and cut into pieces
2 teaspoons vanilla extract 



I will definitely be making this, often, especially in the summer months!  Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts! Your comment will be approved, shortly!